Saturday, September 1, 2007

Cornbread Muffins or Bread - Our Favorite


Cornmeal Muffins or Bread

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

2 Tbsp chopped pickled jalapeƱo peppers
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 can (10 oz/284 mL) creamed corn
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

1. In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in the peppers.

2. In a separate bowl, mix egg, corn, buttermilk and oil. Pour into the flour mixture. Stir just to moisten.

3. Spoon into greased non-stick muffin tins. Bake 375 for 20-25 minutes.


*****I always add finely chopped green onion. This recipes doubles with no problems and freezes like a dream. At Christmas time I always have lots in the freezer and our company grabs them for snacks or toasted for breakfast. If you omit the peppers and green onions, they are lovely served with jam or syrup.

The pic is from a February supper this year. They are nice with chili. Sometimes I spread the cornmeal over hot chili and bake as a crust.

2 comments:

annette said...

Oh, thank you! I finally got over here to check as I remember somebody telling me about their infamous cornbread. It sounds very good, and we love jalapenos, and not sweet cornbread, so I bet we love this one. Thanks for sharing it!

Angela Baylis said...

This one sounds excellent! I'll be back to make this with some chili when it gets colder. In Michigan that will be real soon!